Sunday, August 06, 2006

And now the Garden

I know its not knitting but I thought I would share some of my garden shot with you. We have been struggling with a drought order in this area for 3 months and some of the plants are starting to feel it.

My garden is on the side of a hill, the top of the garden is almost as high up as the roof!

Now for the tour:


This is my white Budlea in full flower. I love the to see the butterflies on it when the sun comes out.



It is about 1/4 of the way up the garden and sits on the bend of the path to the deck.
















The deck, and summer house form the next level of the garden.
I am only half way to finishing painting the fence next to the pond.
You can't see the pond from this view as it sits behind the sleepers.










This is the view of the pond from above. It is the only part of my garden which is really growing well. Somewhere in there are about 30 goldfish, a few newts and a load of frogs.













I love water lily flowers! Such a shame they only last a few days.


Here's a couple of friends who sit at the top of the steps just outside the back door.

You have to have a few mad things in a garden.

In addition to these two I have two gnomes, a stone tortoise, a fairy, a stone frog, a stone cat, two giant ladybirds and......


Two giant wasps!

In the front garden I have my miniature weeping willow. I am watering this twice weekly to keep it alive.

It was a present from a very special friend and I couldn't bear to lose it.

It should grow to 8m in height and 8m across. I have already told my daughters that it will be perfect for my grandchildren to sit under.

As you can see the grass is really suffering in this drought. Not much of it has stayed green. The back lawn is even worse as it is in the sun all day, this lawn at least stays shady till after lunch.

All I can say is LET IT RAIN SOOOOON!

If it carries on like this we may be resorting to trying rain dances on the front garden.

Does anyone know the words?

2 comments:

Kath said...

Your garden looks lovely and seems to be coping with the drought quite well! Hope the willow does OK for you - they are pretty tough plants though.

blog-blethers said...

What a wee oasis your garden is, despite the drought! I love the terraced layout (my parents is on a similar slope and I reckon it shows off the plants to an even better advantage). Gardening is one of my loves and DD1 sneaks in to help out (though would be mortified if her friends knew!!) I love watching how the garden develops over the years. Just wanted to say a huge WELL DONE to your daughter on her fantastic exam results - you must all be so proud of her. I told Caitlin about how well your daughter has done and its given her a lot of hope for her own exam prospects ... thank you so much for that!