Saturday, December 10, 2005

what a week. My knitting teacher (ie my Grandma) turned 93. It was quite traumatic as she had a fall on the eve of her birthday and broke a rib. Fortunately my mum was able to stay with her which meant she didn't have to go to hospital. It seems remarkable that she has lived through two world wars, has seen two total eclipses, brought up two daughters, seen three grandchildren get married and has seven great grand children. I only hope I can last as long and achieve as much! As it is she has now lived longer than any other member of her family. Two of her sisters lived to be 92, and I know this thought has haunted her for the past twelve months.

This remarkable lady inspired me to learn to knit and crochet, producing cardigans and jumpers for myself and my brother and sister, even though she was partially sighted due to measles when she was a child. I was able to turn to her for help while trying to edge a crocheted baby blanket for my oldest daughter (now age 16).
Even now she always wants to know what my current knitting project is.
My only wish would be that she will be around long enough for my daughters to both grow up with similar memories of her that I grew up with.
I hope I can pass on my love of knitting to the next two generations the way she has.
This post is dedicated to my Grandma, Elsie Maud Edwards (nee Archer, born 05.12.1912)

2 comments:

Sharon J said...

What a wonderful grandmother! Mine refused to help me with my knitting, saying that I'd never have the patience to make anything worthwhile. Those words were enough to spark my determination to prove her wrong, so in a roundabout way, she did help me, only she never realised she was doing it! ~Sharon

Mouldydc said...

A wonderful grandmother indeed.
What a astounding changes she has seen in her lifetime!
There's nothing more important than passing teaching on down the family.

My grandmother taught me to knit and even though we aren't very close I will always remember that fondly.