Monday, March 17, 2008

Didn't we have a lovely time

the day we went to Bangor.





We travelled to North Wales on Friday to vist the University. It took ages to get there due to lots of other people driving cars, vans and lorries up the M6. How dare they be on the road at the same time as us! Add to that a number of incidents on the roads it took us 7 hours to get there ( with two short "facilities" stops along the way).
We arrived at the Youth Hostel 5 minutes too late to have dinner, so went into Bangor to find an eating place for some fast food.
After a sleepless night we got up and DH dropped Em & I in Bangor before he and Charlie headed off to drive through the mountains. We walked through the city centre before heading up the hill to the University. Unfortunately we had the wrong site, but were directed to the right site by a very friendly security person. It was only a 25minute walk (or stagger) to the right place and we got there in good time. We were then treated to a very pleasant buffet lunch followed by an entertaining introductory talk about Bangor University School of Sport, Health and Exercise Science. Then we went on a bus tour of the city ending up at the Halls of Residence. Many of the Halls at Bangor are in the process of being updated and those we were shown were much better than were available when I was looking at Uni's 20+ years ago! It was then back on the bus to the Sport science block where we were shown around the laboratories. What amazing equipment they had.
The afternoon ended with us having a chance to discuss any questions we might have with some of the staff. We were able to find out more about the dyslexia services at Bangor, and the qualifications obtainable during the 3 years at Uni.
Then we were picked up by the "Mountain" climbers and we drove back to the Youth Hostel to watch the Wales / france Rugby match. It was a thrilling match with a fantastic final score! (Wales won-of course) By now we were ravenous and so made a dash in the car to Llanberis where we enjoyed a good nosh at Pete's Eats. This well known Cafe ( well known among walkers) does a realy mean plate of Chilli & Chips, which went down really well after a hard day visiting the Uni.
Sunday morning saw us packing up and heading for home. We took the scenic route back via the A5 and saw the snow on top of the mountains. Once we were on the motorway however we had a reasonable journey home.
The back caused quite a lot of discomfort during the weekend and I was relieved not to be doing the driving. This also gave me a chance to do a little bit of knitting in the car on the way home. When I wasn't "high" on painkillers I managed to complete 1/2 a sock. I have used the basic Fyberspates pattern which came with my first purchase of sock yarn, and which I have used for every sock I have knitteed so far, but adapted it to knit a basic lace pattern on the sock. (Photo to follow)

I went into work this morning for a couple of hours to get back into the swing of things. It was Ok, and I was so pleased to see all my friends. The last month at home has been terribly boring and lonely. Thank goodness for the internet. I have spent many happy hours reading other peoples blogs. Thankyou to all those knitting bloggers out there who have kept me sane over the past month.

1 comment:

belaybunny said...

my cousin went to Bangor Uni, but that was ages ago now ;) I think he enjoyed it, I don't know anyone who's been there recently though!! I love snow.