Monday, September 11, 2006

Knitting in Public (Transport)

Having signed up for a day in London hosted by the London Regional MS Society I decided to do something I haven't been able to do in a long time.
I took my knitting with me to do on the train!
I usually travel to courses by car with one of my colleagues or I go to town with one or both of my girls. Both of these situations do not allow me to get my kneedles out and start knitting. If I did this with Emily she would be soooo embarassed, and Charlie is still worried by thoughts of bombs on London trains to travel without holding my hand or sitting on my lap! It is impossible to knit one handed or with an eight year old on your lap!!!
So, as I said I took my knitting. I got a few strange looks, but most people totally ignored me. That was until I got to London Bridge when a small child watched me intently all the way to Kings Cross Thameslink.As I got off I heard her ask her Mummy "what was that lady doing?" Mummy's reply was devastating........."I think she was sewing!!" Just goes to show haw bad our education system has got!
As I arrived early for my day I sat with a cup of coffee in the conference room and got out my knitting. I was then approached by a lovely (elderly ish) lady who showed a great deal of interest in the baby cardi I was making. You could guess her age when she turned to a friend and said "yes it's a matinee coat like we thought".
Does anyone make matinee coats any more I had a few for Emily(17) but by the time Charlie arrived they seemed very old fashioned.
I will put some photos on soon as I have finished the blanket and two cardis.

2 comments:

piglet said...

Knitting in public is always fun. I was once informed that I was knitting "wrong". I was crocheting at the time.

Diane said...

Those were the days " a matinee coat"....how quaint when you think back..and sewing indeed! Crumbs where do some people bury their heads these days??